Wpis z mikrobloga

Tag do subskrybowania: #glenen

to forestall - zapobiegać [to prevent something from happening by acting first]
/fɔːrˈstɑːl/
Try to #!$%@? what your child will do and forestall problems.
-----
to hew - rąbać, ciosać [to cut a large piece out of wood, coal, rock, stone, or another hard material in a rough way]
/hjuː/
The monument was hewn out of the side of a mountain.
-----
parlance - mowa [a group of words or style of speaking used by a particular group of people]
/ˈpɑːr.ləns/
I couldn't understand their legal parlance.
-----
quandary - rozterka, dylemat, kłopot [a state of not being able to decide what to do about a situation in which you are involved]
/ˈkwɑːn.dri/
We're in a quandary over which school to send her to.
-----
remedial - naprawczy [formal]
/rɪˈmiː.di.əl/
Remedial action must be taken now.
-----
gluttony - obżarstwo
/ˈɡlʌt̬.ən.i/
They treat christmas as just another excuse for gluttony.
-----
patter - stukot (lub: trajkotanie, paplanina) [the sound of a lot of things gently and repeatedly hitting a surface; fast, continuous talk, esp. that of an entertainer or someone trying to sell things]
/ˈpæt̬.ɚ/
I find the patter of rain on the roof soothing. Philip’s clever patter kept his audience in a good mood.
-----
to diddle - oszukać, ocyganić [to get money from someone in a way that is not honest]
/ˈdɪd.əl/
He diddled me! He said that there were six in a bag, but there were only five.
-----
liege - senior, feudał [old use; a lord or king]
/liːdʒ/
No man would break an oath to his liege.
-----
suture - szew [a stitch used to sew up a cut in a person's body]
/ˈsuː.tʃɚ/
The syringe was removed, the skull opening sealed with dental cement, and the skin sutured.
-----
chaperone - przywzoitka [an older person, especially a woman, who stays with and takes care of a younger woman who is not married when she is in public]
/ˈʃæp.ɚ.oʊn/
She asked me to go to the cinema with her and Andrew, I think as a sort of chaperone.
-----
to strive - walczyć, usiłować, starać się [to try very hard to do something or to make something happen, especially for a long time or against difficulties]
/straɪv/
In her writing she strove for a balance between innovation and familiar prose forms.
-----
stuffy - duszny [(of a building, room, etc.) warm in an unpleasant way and without enough fresh air]
/ˈstʌf.i/
It gets very hot and stuffy in here in summer.
-----
stranded - pozostawiony samemu sobie (lub: na mieliźnie) [unable to leave somewhere because of a problem such as not having any transport or money]
/ˈstræn.dɪd/
He left me stranded in town with no car and no money for a bus.
-----
to contract - nabawić się, zachorować [formal; to catch or become ill with a disease]
/ˈkɑːn.trækt/
He contracted malaria while he was travelling.
#####
bonus - idiom
in black and white
To say that something is in black and white means that there is written proof of it.
It's an obligation. It's in black and white in your contract.

Talia fiszek anki plik

FAQ

Zapraszam do wytykania błędów, literówek, złych tłumaczeń, usterek, głupiego awatara itp.

#angielski #jezykiobce #naukajezykow #angielskizwykopem #gruparatowaniapoziomu
GlenPL - Tag do subskrybowania: #glenen

to forestall - zapobiegać [to prevent somet...

źródło: comment_1604725267vX6uanXqofqFlvAq3qFSxw.jpg

Pobierz