Wpis z mikrobloga

Historyjka o Davidzie Bohmie i jego wersji mechaniki kwantowej, którą ciągle niektórzy biorą na poważnie i rozpatrują jako "ciekawą alternatywę" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Źródło: The quark and the jaguar, Murray Gell-Mann (jest też polskie wydanie).

In 1951, when I was a fresh Ph.D. and a post-doc at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, David was an assistant professor at Princeton University. We were both bachelors and sometimes spent the evening walking around Princeton together discussing physics. David told me that as a Marxist he had had difficulty believing in quantum mechanics. (Marxists tend to prefer their theories to be fully deterministic.) Since quantum mechanics was immensely successful and not contradicted by any observation, he had tried to convince himself that it was, after all, philosophically acceptable. In attempting to reconcile quantum mechanics with his Marxist convictions, he had written an elementary textbook on quantum theory, emphasizing the problem of interpretation. That book was about to appear, and David was anxious to show Einstein the relevant chapters and see if he could overcome the great man's objections. David asked me to arrange an appointment. I replied that I was not die best person to do so, since I hardly knew Einstein, but that I would talk with Miss Dukas, Einstein's formidable secretary, and see what could be done. When I met David a day or two later and started to tell him that I was working on his appointment, he interrupted me excitedly to report that it was unnecessary. His book had appeared and Einstein had already read it and telephoned him to say that David's was the best presentation he had ever seen of the case against him and that they should meet to discuss it. Naturally, when next I saw David I was dying to know how their conversation had gone, and I asked him about it. He looked rather sheepish and said, "He talked me out of it. I'm back where I was before I wrote the book." From then on, for more than forty years, David tried to reformulate and reinterpret quantum mechanics so as to overcome his doubts. Very recently, I learned with great sadness that he had died.

#fizyka #mechanikakwantowa #nauka