Wpis z mikrobloga

CDC study reveals CFS patients are severely physically impaired, but have normal mental health

I've been ill for two years and I can say for certain that NOW I'm depressed. When you're too ill to get out of bed or leave the house for a long enough time, you get depressed. I don't see friends anymore (probably don't even have any) I lost my career and education hopes, I lost everything of who I was and it's not easy to be mentally healthy when we deal with what we do.

But this is not depression. This is an illness that is so difficult to handle I've developed depression on top of it.

taka prawda ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)

Despite decades of suggesting otherwise, the CDC has just determined that CFS patients have normal mental health function and severe physical impairments.

The findings coincide with the NIH’s decision to drop a key component of its clinical study of post-infectious ME/CFS, amid patient concerns about serious and potentially crippling methodological problems with the study, highlighted in a review by MEAdvocacy.org.

The CDC Multi-site Clinical Assessment of CFS, which began in 2012, collected data from 450 patients at seven clinical centers in the US.

According to the CDC, the aim of the study was “to characterize patients with CFS or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) in clinical practices of clinicians with expertise in CFS/ME.”

Dr Elizabeth Unger, head of the CDC’s Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, announced the early findings of the multi-site study at a CDC Grand Rounds event on ME/CFS in February.

Those preliminary and as yet unpublished findings reveal that functional status in CFS patients is severely impaired, except for mental and emotion function.

#cfs #zmeczenie #zdrowie #depresja #medycyna #badania