Wpis z mikrobloga

Tag do subskrybowania: #glenen

Talia fiszek anki plik

to obviate - zażegnać, zlikwidować [formal; to remove a difficulty, especially so that action to deal with it becomes unnecessary]
/ˈɑːb.vi.eɪt/
A peaceful solution would obviate the need to send a UN military force.
-----
corolla - korona kwiatu [all of the petals of a flower as a group]
/kəˈroʊ.lə/
The corolla has from five to nine petals, cohering at the base.
-----
defunct - martwy, zlikwidowany [formal; no longer existing, living, or working correctly]
/dɪˈfʌŋkt/
He was a reporter for the defunct New York Herald newspaper.
-----
to outdo - prześcigać, przewyższać [to be, or do something, better than someone else]
/ˌaʊtˈduː/
He always tries to outdo everybody else in the class.
-----
dismay - konsternacja, niezadowolenie [a feeling of unhappiness and disappointment]
/dɪˈsmeɪ/
Aid workers were said to have been filled with dismay by the appalling conditions that the refugees were living in.
-----
hinge - zawias [a piece of metal that fastens the edge of a door, window, lid, etc. to something else and allows it to open or close]
/hɪndʒ/
We had to take the front door off its hinges to get our new sofa into the house.
-----
to rebound - odbijać się, rykoszetować [to bounce back after hitting something]
/ˌriːˈbaʊnd/
The ball rebounded off the rim and Schultz dunked it in.
-----
to wilt - więdnąć [(of a plant) to become weak and begin to bend towards the ground, or (of a person) to become weaker, tired, or less confident]
/wɪlt/
Cut flowers will soon wilt without water.
-----
cork - korek [a short, cylinder-shaped piece of cork, plastic, or rubber that is put into the top of a bottle, especially a wine bottle, to close it]
/kɔːrk/
I can't get the cork out of the bottle - can you try?
-----
to pinch - szczypać [to press something, especially someone's skin, strongly between two hard things such as a finger and a thumb, usually causing pain]
/pɪntʃ/
My sister's always pinching me and it really hurts.
#####
bonus - idiom
close to home
If a remark or comment is close to home, it is so true, or it affects you so directly, that you feel uncomfortable.
Alan looks embarrassed. Bob's comment must have been close to home.

FAQ

Zapraszam do wytykania błędów, literówek, złych tłumaczeń, usterek, głupiego awatara itp.
źródło: comment_1617681666gz7mJRsAwHQUXYSOrBeQvd.jpg