Wpis z mikrobloga

Tag do subskrybowania: #glenen

to fetter - krępować, spętać [literary; to restrict someone's freedom to do what they want; to put chains around a prisoner's feet]
/ˈfet̬.ɚ/
He felt fettered by a nine-to-five office existence.
-----
to revile - lżyć, zwymyślać [formal; to criticize someone or something in a way that shows how much you dislike them]
/rɪˈvaɪl/
The judge was reviled in the newspapers for his opinions on rape.
-----
to allude - robić aluzję (do czegoś) [formal; to mention someone or something without talking about him, her, or it directly]
/əˈluːd/
She mentioned some trouble that she'd had at home and I guessed she was alluding to her son.
-----
to infuriate - rozwścieczać [to make someone extremely angry]
/ɪnˈfjʊr.i.eɪt/
His sexist attitude infuriates me.
-----
listless - apatyczny, zobojętniały [having no energy and enthusiasm and unwilling to do anything needing effort]
/ˈlɪst.ləs/
He's seemed listless and a little depressed ever since he got his exam results.
-----
contemptible - podły, godny pogardy [extremely bad, because of being dishonest or cruel]
/kənˈtemp.tə.bəl/
His behavior was contemptible.
-----
forlorn - osamotniony, żałosny [literary; alone and unhappy; left alone and not cared for]
/fɚˈlɔːrn/
She looked a forlorn figure standing at the bus stop. This forlorn industrial town has very high unemployment.
-----
inept - nieudolny, niekompetentny [not skilled or effective]
/ˌɪnˈept/
He was criticized for his inept handling of the situation.
-----
fawn - płowy [a light yellowish-brown color]
/fɑːn/
The doe is of a light fawn color and has no horns.
-----
toil - harówka, ciężka praca [hard work, especially work that makes you feel physically tired]
/tɔɪl/
Lindi has achieved her comfortable life only after years of hard toil.
-----
privy - wtajemniczony [formal; allowed to know about something secret]
/ˈprɪv.i/
I was never privy to conversations between top management.
-----
to restrain - powstrzymywać (się), obezwładniać [to stop someone or something from doing something, especially by using physical force; to stop yourself from feeling an emotion or doing something that you would like to do]
/rɪˈstreɪn/
The prisoner had to be restrained by the police. I restrained the urge to punch him.
-----
appalling - okropny, przerażający [shocking; extremely bad]
/əˈpɑː.lɪŋ/
The prisoners were living in appalling conditions.
-----
cloak - peleryna, płaszcz [a loose outer piece of clothing without sleeves, that fastens at the neck, and is worn instead of a coat]
/kloʊk/
They left the house under cloak of darkness.
-----
dove - gołębica, gołąb [a bird with short legs, a large body, and a small head, often used as a symbol of peace]
/dʌv/
At his baptism a dove descended upon Jesus.
#####
bonus - idiom
bring someone to heel
If you force someone to behave in a disciplined manner, you bring them to heel.
The boy had always behaved badly, but the new headmaster managed to bring him to heel.

Talia fiszek anki plik

FAQ

Zapraszam do wytykania błędów, literówek, złych tłumaczeń, usterek, głupiego awatara itp.
GlenPL - Tag do subskrybowania: #glenen

to fetter - krępować, spętać [literary; to ...

źródło: comment_1607835665b1ifTDtUrKN8QfP2OYBugz.jpg

Pobierz
  • Odpowiedz