Wpis z mikrobloga

Wywiad przeprowadzony przez redaktora RPG Codex (najbardziej kompetentnej strony o erpegach) z pracownikami i pracodawcami firmy inXile:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10604

Całość jest ciekawa, ale te fragmenty mogą zainteresować więcej osób:

RPG Codex: Most of this interview will be about Torment, but I wanted to start at the beginning, with Planescape: Torment. Planescape: Torment was one of the most highly acclaimed CRPGs of all time. In 2014, it was voted the best CRPG of all time. This is one of the big topics for Codex fans and is one of the reasons the Codex community was so angry about Tides of Numenera. I’ll start with the most basic questions: how much did Planescape: Torment cost to make? How big was the team? How long was the production period?

Brian: I’m a little bit guessing, but would say between 3 to 4 million dollars. Keep in mind these were 1998 numbers, comparable to about 2 to 3 times that today.

Colin: The team was 35 to 40 people. That would include QA, not just the full-time team.

Brian: I’d be guessing 25 to 30 people. I don't count QA.

Colin: It started in 1996, because it was in pre-production when I first showed up out there in October 1996. I didn’t move onto the team until April 1997, and then we got side-tracked by Fallout 2. We shipped in December 1999 so it was at least 3 years.

RPG Codex: How well did Planescape: Torment sell? The Codex believes it sold in the area of 400,000 copies.

Brian: 400,000 sounds about right. I remember Fallout 1 sold 600,000 units, and Planescape sold less than that. Baldur’s Gate 1 was our big seller. That was over a million copies. That was the big boy. Now I couldn’t tell you at what price those copies sold at, and I couldn’t tell you how many it’s sold since then.

George: What was the time frame of the 400,000? Over a couple of years?

Brian: It was over several years and probably included some sales. That’s one of the mistakes a lot of websites make, I don’t mean the Codex, they’ll sometimes run the numbers and they’ll assume full price, and go “gee look at all the money they made” but they don’t know that it could’ve been half of them were for $10.

RPG Codex: Why did InXile decide to pursue a sequel to Planescape: Torment, which didn’t sell very well, without the Planescape setting, the Planescape: Torment license, or perhaps most importantly, Chris Avellone as lead designer?

Brian: We knew we wanted to kick off another project, so I thought there was this really unique moment in time during which Colin was available, Adam was available, Monte Cook had just done the Numenera setting – we couldn’t get the Planescape license, we tried, they said no – but the guy who helped invent Planescape had invented another world which we thought was kind of unique. We hoped we could get Chris Avellone involved, and we ended up doing so. I thought it was a one-time opportunity to give that creative team another shot at building a product which was similar – and by similar I mean a game that relied on reading and which was strange and otherworldly, and to give them an opportunity to create a game that was very different from your standard RPG experience.

RPG Codex: Obtaining the Planescape license was impossible at the time?

Brian: Not possible. I tried.

Colin: I would also add that I tried as well. Back in February in 2012, Avellone, Dengler, and I had talked about trying to get the Planescape license and that didn’t go anywhere.

(...)

RPG Codex: Can we get a percentage break down of the budget? In terms of programming, art, music, scripting, multi-platform support, etc.?

Brian: I don’t have that off the top of my head. But the budget was well in excessive of probably 8.5 million dollars. A lot of people assume that crowd funding money cover 100% production but that isn’t the case for us. We’re usually augmenting development with our own money and with outside funding from publishers and deals.

#gry #rpg #crpg #pcmasterrace #torment #bethesdasucks
  • Odpowiedz
@Bethesda_sucks Tak Numenera ;) Dzięki za liczby! Sam mam na konsoli, takze tam tez parę tysi sprzedali mam nadzieje. Szkoda ze to nie oficjalne liczby ;(. Szkoda trochę, bo poki co gra mi sie podobała, ale czekam na patche. Ciekawe co z nimi bedzie. Fargo niby odchodzi po Wasteland 3. Widać wszyscy chcieli grać, ale nikt kupić. Swoja drogą jak mało w stosunku do tego co myślałem sprzedali Fallouta czy Baldura.
  • Odpowiedz
Widać wszyscy chcieli grać, ale nikt kupić

@Kikuchiyo: Z moich doświadczeń z grą, to jednak nie do końca tak. Jeśli wszyscy chcieli, to jednak nie w to, co dostarczyło InExile. IMO TToN nie grą złą, ale nawet nie stoi w cieniu P:T
  • Odpowiedz
IMO TToN nie grą złą, ale nawet nie stoi w cieniu P:T

@sejsmita: Akurat to niewiele mówi, bo niewiele jest gier, które są choć w połowie tak dobre jak P:T. Ja podzielam zdanie @Kikuchiyo , jeszcze parę lat temu wydawać by się mogło, że większość dałaby się pokroić za coś takiego jak Numenera i rzucali hasła w rodzaju "więcej ścian tekstu", "jak nie chcecie czytać to zagrajcie w Diablo albo gry
  • Odpowiedz
Akurat to niewiele mówi, bo niewiele jest gier, które są choć w połowie tak dobre jak P:T

@Bethesda_sucks: I jest ku temu powód, zrobić coś co zbliża się do P:T to ciężka robota. InExile przerosło owo zadanie, a wcale nie musiało tak być. Niestety poza kłamstwami i obietnicami, zwyczajnie nie mają tak utalentowanych ludzi, jak im się wydaje. Sama konstrukcja fabularna gry jest gówniana, to nie jest "story driven", kiedy gra
  • Odpowiedz